9 Things You Can Do To Make Your Skin More Elastic (& Youthful!)
What can we do to prolong our youthful appearance? Many will think about avoiding wrinkles, but so many products are out on the market that can battle these, women today do not have to worry about these until much, much later in life. But, what can help with elasticity is a bigger problem and not many products will have the same success as our anti-wrinkle ones.
What is the definition of elasticity?
According to the University of Maryland’s website, skin elasticity is better defined as skin turgor. And, skin turgor is, “the skin’s ability to change shape and return to normal (elasticity).”
Following are NINE practical and inexpensive ways to promote better skin turgor:
- Avoid the sun and/or use a good sunscreen. Sun damage is well-known to wreak havoc upon the best of skin. All sun worshippers that do not take heed pay the price with lax, leathery skin before their time ~ not to mention the risk of many dangerous skin cancers. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends everyone use sunscreen that offers the following:
- Broad-spectrum protection (protects against UVA and UVB rays).
- Sun Protection Factor (SPF) 30 or greater.
- Water resistance.
- Read more about the CURRENT 2017 recommendations from the American Academy of Dermatology.
- Drink plenty of water. Water is what nourishes our cells…it is present in EVERY cell in our bodies. But, many people do not drink enough of this elixir! And, without proper hydration, skin will appear dull and listless ~ lacking the turgor that gives us our youthful appearance. What is the proper amount of water to drink per day? This is a controversial subject, but the American Dietetics Association recommends 9 cups for women and 12.5 cups for men.
- Do not bathe in hot water since this has a harmful effect on the skin integrity, damaging it and drying it out.
- Use a good moisturizer! Consult an aesthetician or dermatologist for the best one for your skin type.
- Partaking in regular exercise can improve skin elasticity. It is recommended to have 30 minutes of aerobic exercise to improve circulation for the skin. This gives the benefit of feeding the skin and removing any waste products more effectively. Hence, you will have a more youthful skin.
- Proteins make up the matrix of our cells and thus are very important for good collagen and elasticity. Eat these top proteins for good elasticity: almonds, peanut butter, salmon, sardines and eggs.
- One remarkable finding (from recent studies) found by dermatologists is evidence that lutein, an antioxidant found in egg yolks, spinach, and other leafy greens may improve skin elasticity by almost 20%. Lutein is also found in topical face products.
- Fish oil capsules taken on a daily basis can do much for skin elasticity. This is very important if you are on a diet or have already lost a lot of weight…fish oil is one of your best weapons to combat laxity and looseness of the skin. But, be sure to follow the dosage directions on the label (and consult a physician before taking anything) since the wrong dose may be harmful or dangerous in bleeding disorders (or other medical conditions).
- Also, it’s important to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables for good skin elasticity. And, of these ~ the best ones to eat are as follows:
- Red Peppers
- Sweet Potato
So, if you have lost elasticity due to poor habits or weight loss ~ the above list should give you a guide on how you may improve your skin starting TODAY. Or, if you are needing a preventative treatment against aging…these habits can take you down the road to a much happier, youthful skin! We don’t have to give in to mother nature, there are always variables we can manipulate to fight back against what our mothers and grandmothers had to endure ~ loose, sagging skin.
Photo credit: Gloria’s Health